Colin James Woods is a freelance Sonic Practitioner based in Auckland, Aotearoa/ New Zealand. His projects range from sonic art creations, live improvised electronic and acoustic works, through to compositions for conventional instruments and ensembles.
Colin was born in Belfast (Ireland) and came to Aotearoa/New Zealand in 2002. He was previously guitarist with Irish punk band Music For Deaf (not the later US band of the same name) and participant in UK/Ireland based Allotropes experimental collective.
His current interests include experimental music (both composed and improvised), site specific installations, video, song writing, performance, and composition for conventional solo instruments and ensembles. He is a regular participant in the Auckland improv colective Vitamin S, one half of the duo Toy Triptech (with Rohan Evans), and has performed occasionally on alto sax with Jeff Henderson’s variable ensemble Superstars of Westlynn.
Colin holds a Diploma in Contemporary Music from Unitec (Auckland) and B. Mus.(Hons) majoring in Composition at the University of Auckland. In 2018 he completed a Masters Degree in Creative Technology at AUT. Recent releases include the album Skyway to Carpark (2012) and EP Short Straw, both are available to download from bandcamp and as limited release physical CDs. His Masters Degree work (in the form of various installation peices) was exhibited at the Audio Foundation in November 2017.
Colin is a also a Director of Angel Food, New Zealand’s vegan food innovators,
Colin trades as Woodsnet NZ. You can contact him at sales [at] woods.net.nz
- May 2018: “Fish FFS“, Spoken word performance comissioned as part of the HearSay series, Tim Melville Gallery , Auckland.
- November 2017: Exhibition “It’s for You”, Audio Foundation, Auckland
- 2007-present: Various performances at “Vitamin –S” music improv collective.
- October 2013: Performed at “A whole lot of cock with no balls”, at Audio Foundation interpreting Jeff Henderson’s graphic scores.
- September 2013: Performed at “Equinox” event at Artspace, curated by Ivan Mrsic.
- August 2013: Performed at “Listening Room” session at Audio Foundation.
- August 2013: Performed “D goes on and on” in Amelia M Harris’s film “Seven octaves plus a minor third”.
- July 2013: Performed “The Empathy Detector” at “The Human Experiment” event, curated by Elise Sterback.
Colin Woods(all available at http://colinwoods.bandcamp.com)
- Short Straw (May 2013)
- Skyway to Carpark (December 2012)
- Noise in my head(May 2010)
Work in progress on soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/colin-james-woods
Toy Triptech (see http://toytriptech.bandcamp.com/)
- More Questions Than Answers (June 2012)
- VIIth(August 2011)
- Whales(March 2012
2018 Master of Creative Technology, (AUT, Auckland)
2016 B Mus (Hons) majoring in Sonic Arts (University of Auckland)
2015 B Mus (Composition) (University of Auckland)
2010 Diploma in Contemporary Music (Unitec)
2000 Computeach Diploma: Introductory Applications Programming in Pascal (Distinction)
2000 CompTIA A+ Certification (Computer Hardware & OS)
1990 Fellowship of Institute of Biomedical Science (FIBMS) by examination
1985 Higher National Certificate in Medical Laboratory Science (University of Ulster)